football lessons & resources
rock, paper, scissors football
friday night lights
how to fold a paper football
virtual football unit
rip flag rugby
RIP FLAG RUGBY - - Align the students into grids with a regulation rugby ball or a makeshift one such as , a football or any oblong object similar to the size and shape of a rugby ball . Arrange the groups into either even or uneven numbered players. Practice lead up skills of passing , receiving , kicking , defensive skills ( rip flag belt or game jerseys) and running maneuvers ( fake and feint) . Establish rules for each group and add modifications according to the groups playing ability level . Change equipment often .
Use traffic cones or lines on the floor as scoring and running zones. Divide the area into four different grids , which is lengthwise on the gymnasium floor , outside football/ soccer field or playground area . Have the players change positions often to learn the concepts of the game and player positions. No intricate rules so there are no distractions to learn the basic skills .
* Practice ball handling skills in a straight line from one end line to the other
* Set up each group in a five person alignment about a few paces apart
Pass the ball sideways or backwards only
* Continue to run until all passes have been made to the side line .
* The first passer on the left runs to the other side of the passing formation
* Maintain a straight line( lanes) throughout the passing process
** Align the students in a circle formation( arms length apart) with one person out side the first person with the rugby ball .
** On a signal , pass the ball from player to player until the ball gets back to the starter ** The outside player runs around the circle and back to their original starting position
**Choose a new running player each new turn .
*** Practice the grubber(self) and self kick skills from one side line to the other
*** The grubber kick is kicked along the floor(bouncing or rolling) and picked up ; the self kick is from the foot to the hands while running and receiving in a forward progression .
**** Divide half the group with rip tags
**** The rip tag group runs to a side line before the other group rips the tag off .
**** Use a ball for passing to another team mate( two hand pass only).Only the player in possession may be tagged.
ultimate flag football
ULTIMATE FLAG FOOTBALL -
Arrange the players into three grids with different colored rip flag belts . * Use a nerf or regulation football according to their ability level . Divide the three grids equally between even or uneven numbers .
* Place traffic cones between each grid and designate a scoring line , which will be the sideline areas on each side of the basketball court or outside field area.
* Modify the rules to make the game easier to understand and allow for more success in performance levels .
* The football may be thrown in any direction .
* Any football that drops to the ground results in loss of possession .
*Start the new possession from that point.
* There is no running allowed until the third consecutive successful throw and catch
*Rip tags may be taken off only after that task .
* * The one exception occurs with an interception
* After three passes , a score is counted with a run past the side line or another pass to a team mate that is over the end line.
* Each change of possession is a kick along the ground that is picked by the opposition .* That first player must maintain a stationary position until the first throw has been made.
Establish a three foot safety zone after each catch
* Limit the throw to a three second count.
* Even thought there are no set positions , it is appropriate to institute the defense into a “mirroring” technique for more movement and participation and make sure the offensive players move in various pass patterns to break free for a completed pass .
* Before any game is played , it is important to practice the lead up skills intrinsic to the game
1. Utilize uneven numbers for decision making and strategy skills
2. Each player must catch the ball at least once before a score is counted.
3. Change the size of the field
4. Change the equipment ( rugby ball , nerf play ball , regulation football )
5. Running is permitted after any catch , but this results in loss of possession
Content : Manipulative skills , team work, cooperation , safety , strategy
Equipment : Nerf football , regulation football , rugby ball , traffic cones, rip tags , game jerseys