communication with students & families
Communication is so important! And it is critical to enforcing e-cigarette and tobacco-free policies.
Here are some communication ideas and strategies to make sure that all members of the school and community are aware of the policy and clear on consequences if they violate the policy.
These are high level ways to get started.
communication with students
communication with parents
How do I talk to students who are vaping and using e-cigarettes?
It takes skill and finesse to have this conversation. Here are some best practices:
- Establish rapport/trust with the child/student.
- Actively listen without leading or trying to answer questions for them.
- Stay focused and avoid interrupting.
- When asking about vaping or e-cigarette usage: If they share/express that they are vaping:
- Be open to the conversation. Avoid judgmental looks or statements that indicate disapproval.
- This is not the time to tell them it is bad for their health.
- Be a listening ear to the student so they can speak freely and openly with you.
- Be mindful of verbal and non-verbal expressions.
how do i talk to my student about vaping?
There are many resources for parents that include information on how to start a conversation about vaping. Generally, the guidelines are to communicate and educate before resorting to punitive measures.